Happy Friday everyone!
I’m pullin’ a project out of the archives today. I actually shared this one on Stardust –Decor and Style as a guest blogger awhile back, but I’ve never published it to my blog.
It’s a project I did for my nursery.
I still LOVE my nursery, but the pictures in my nursery post are from the time I blogged for friends and family. Not my best picture work by any means.
Before I sell the house I need to take more pictures and re-post it!
When I designed our nursery, it was going to be shared by a 2 yr old boy and a baby girl, so I wanted it to be fairly gender neutral. I choose yellow, gray, cream, and black for my colors. I also wanted some girly touches….and I sort of got carried away with girly touches. Who wouldn’t right?!
I had found this lamp at a yardsale. It’s was a pretty cool lamp just as it was, but I didn’t have any orange in my house, and I needed a lamp for the nursery, so it was my choice for the makeover.
I sprayed adhesive spray over the shade and took some slinky black fabric and smoothed it around the shade. I’m not sure if I would use slinky fabric again, it was tough to get the bubbles out, the nice thing about it was it didn’t ravel much, so I just sprayed the end of the fabric and left it overlapping the side where the material met to make the seam. I smoothed most of the bubbles out with my hand.
The cut edge inside the shade isn’t the best. I did this project before I blogged,….before I showed people the inside of my lampshades!
I just cut the fabric about a 1/2 in longer than the shade at top and bottom and then gave the inside top and bottom edges a quick squirt of spray adhesive, and folded the material over. If I were to do it again, I would measure and cut the material before glueing to the shade. I would use a rotary cutter, so the edges would be very nice and straight.
Since the shade already had a top and bottom boarder, I didn’t even need to add one. My material was slinky enough to strech over the boarder and it looked like I had added a black boarder to the shade.
Next I began embellishing. I used this fabric flower tutorial over at House of Smiths. The cute printed flowers and brads are from the dollar section at Micheal’s. They have packs with cute brads in many colors in their store regularly.
I like how the lamp turned out. It’s just the right amount of girl whimsy for Eva’s side of the room.
The shade is not perfect, and there are still bubbles, but it looks cute and I don’t think anyone notices but me.
So there’s my lamp shade tute for you.
It’s nice to have some of these un-posted projects in the archives. It’s been a busy week. We had a house showing yesterday and the kids have started fall spots, …which seems like a part-time job in itself!
Hope you’re all having a wonderful end of the summer!