This week has been a crazy clash of starting home school for this year,
switching to Word Press, and my husband being in TX for work!…um, notice what has taken the back burner (the blog), I haven’t even figured out how to change my fonts in WP!
That and my house looks like a bomb went off!
All I can say is TGIF!
So let me tell you about the next nursery project. It’s a project I’m really excited about.
The other day, Pam, at Simple Details, asked her readers if they liked large statement pieces.
I started thinking about how I LOVE large statement pieces. (I may love them too much!)
One of my favorite things is taking ”junk” and making it into a large statement piece in a room, for next to nothing. Seriously, it’s a weird passion of mine.
So when we were in Denver a couple weeks ago, working on my sister’s nursery, and I stumbled upon a pile of free old windows casings at a neighbor’s house, I knew we would be making something out of them!
Because….they were BIG and FREE!
My sister Holly and I had talked about what to put above the crib before I found this. We knew it would have to be basically free to stay within the budget we were shooting for. We had even considered building a frame similar to this out of pallet wood, and then padding, upholstering it and tufting it, or stenciling inside….maybe adding wood of some sort.
So when I found this frame, I knew it was meant to be!
I had my brother-in-law paint it a deep turquoise blue. The same color they were painting the dresser.
Then he hung it on the wall for us, using a stud finder to make it hang securely.
Next, I needed to find out what to put inside.
And in the Joann’s dollar section bins, there it was…
The answer to what should go inside the huge empty frame….
These dollar cards.
I brought 4 bags of them home ($1 each) and ironed them flat. Then I used glue-stick to adhere them to the wall.
I was excited about how they turned out!
They made the best geometric pattern, and I had to add one random orange one in for some interest…..and color.
Here’s a peak at what we worked on the next day (pillows and crib bedding).
….and a picture of how fun it looked with the Color Blocked Curtains.
Not bad for a couple hours of work and around $4!
See other nursery projects:
Have a great weekend everyone!